Missions Training Internship
So you’re looking for an internship and through a Google search, a friend, your church or something other avenue, you’ve discovered Hillside. We think we’re pretty cool. You probably will too.
As a Hillside Intern you’ll join a group of passionate, fun, and diverse people working to make the gospel accessible to unreached peoples. The nine months you’ll spend in Richmond, Virginia as an intern will prepare you for cross-cultural ministry. Don’t worry if you’re not completely settled on being a missionary, the training is valuable for any ministry focus. The program also includes an additional 3 month “externship” option which you would spend in an unreached people group area. Some of the past externship destinations have included China, Afghanistan, Turkey, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, India, and Mexico. You’ll spend time in our downtown, store-front office Monday through Friday working on projects aimed at establishing Christian community in specific areas. You’ll attend a number of fast-paced, exciting classes that will challenge your worldview and give you a new appreciation for working dry-erase markers. You may even start drinking black coffee!
The internship hours are divided up so that 80% of your time is spent working in our office. During this time interns gain valuable experience through hands-on activities and projects in the office. The remaining 20% of time is spent in a formal classroom setting studying classes that fall in the following categories:
The categories of classes include:
1. World Religions
2. Community Building and Mobilization
-Weaving a Community
-Self-awareness and relatibility
-Mission Mobilization: statistics, trends, and communicating vision
3. Study of Christian Theology
-Strategies of Mission
-Missions and the Church
-Living in a New Culture: money & budgeting, diet, housing
-Writing a Mission Statement for Life
5. Teaching English as a Second Language (Certification)
-How do People Learn?
-Cognitive Processing and Multiple Intelligences
-Teaching Foreign Languages
-Total Physical Response
-Organizing a Classroom
-Creating a Lesson Plan
-English Grammar and Structure
You’ll live with other internship participants and learn that community sometimes means keeping both 2% AND skim milk in the fridge so that everyone is happy.
As an intern, you will also make life-long friends that become like family. Be ready to immerse yourself in an adventure that will change you and the world around you.
p.s. The interns eat a lot of spaghetti.
Hillside Missions Interns:
* Learn and actively participate in missions team training
* Travel on short-term trips to minister to unreached peoples
* Complete a cross-cultural ministry course program
* Study community building and mobilization, the role of the church in missions, Islam, and ESL
* Work to administer a School of Missions in Matachi, Chihuahua, Mexico
* Help with gospel distribution and church planting activities
* Participate in missions activities among the world’s least reached peoples
* Gain access to a network of strategic contacts in ministry and missions
* Are provided the opportunity to seek God’s will for their life
Who can apply?
To be eligible you should be between 18 and 30 years old with a desire to serve God.
What are the dates?
The full program runs for 9 months. After the 9 month program there is an optional 3 month international externship working with one of our longterm projects. Typically, the program follows a traditional university semester calendar, although the dates of the internship can be flexible. We also offer a summer program which lasts for three months. The optional three month externship generally begins immediately following the 9 month program.
Where will you sleep and eat?
Do you live within driving distance of our offices at 8 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA? Then you can opt to be a commuting intern in our program. Live outside the area? Then internship participants share apartments near our offices. At times we eat together, and other times we go out to eat.
What does the program cost?
The residential internship program is $375 per month and this includes: housing, meals, curriculum materials and supplies. The commuting internship program is $100 per month and includes: some meals, curriculum materials and supplies. We also ask that interns raise support to fund their short-term trips and externships.
Can I visit the office to check it out first?
Yes! We encourage all internship applicants and acceptant participants to visit before a commitment is made to the program. This also helps to ease some of the normal anxiety that accompanies involvement in new activities and communities. It is best to call ahead to arrange a visit.
tel. (804) 381-6750
Our office is located at: 8 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
Okay, I’m interested. How do I apply?
Fill out the Online Internship Application and check your email! We’ll contact you soon!
Have a Question? Ask an Intern at: